Other Islands of the Dodecanese.


Map of Patmos.
Map of Patmos.


- Patmos was first inhabited in very ancient times. - Grave goods from ancient burial grounds at Itia, Kambos and elswhere, traces of houses, temples and fortifications.
- 14th century BC: Mycenean presence on the island - Fragments of Mycean vases, sherds, geometrical pottery, etc.
The island was first colonised by Dorians, who were followed by Ionians. - See "Ludwig Ross, archeologist, Travels in the islands, 1837"
- c. 800 BC: The Ionian cities of Asia Minor, - Ephesos, Miletos and others - with the independent islands of Samos and Chios set up religious and political alliance called the Panionion, whose protection extends to Patmos.
- 428 BC: In the fourth year of the Peloponnesian War, the Athenian general Paches pursues the Spartans as far as Patmos. - Thucydides.
- 4th century BC:
Patmos keep pace with the development of the larger islands in its vicinity. - Ruins at Kastelli, text of Prochoros, etc.
- 2nd century BC: Patmos comes under Roman control and enters a period of decline - the population drops and the island is used as a place of exile.
- 95 AD: Under Domitian, St John is exiled to Patmos, where he spreads Christianity and writes the Apocalypse.
- 97 AD: Return of St John from Ephesos - according to the calculations of Tournefort.
- 2nd century AD: A further drop in the population, by stages.
- 330 AD: Following the fate of the other islands in the Dodecanese, Patmos becomes part of the Byzantine Impire.
- 4th-6th centuries: Some economic development seems to have taken place.
- 6th-9th centuries: The island is laid waste by the raids of Arabs and other tribes.
- 904: After the Arab capture of Thessaloniki, many of the city's inhabitants are taken prisoner and sent to Patmos.
- 1085: The Blessed Christodoulos is forced to leave the moastery on Mt Latmos of which he had been abbot - he takes refuge on Kos, where he founds the monastery of Our Lady "Kastrinon" or "Pyliou" - there he meets the anchrite Arsenios Skinouris, who was born on Patmos and owns much land there, which he bequeaths to the Blessed Christodoulos.
- 1088: Emperor Alexios I Komnenos concedes full ownership of Patmos and complete tax exemption to the Blessed Christodoulos.
- 1091: Construction of the monastery precinct.
- 1093: The Blessed Christodoulos is driven away from the island by the constant pirate raids - he takes refuge in Euboia, where he dies.
- 1100: There are 150 monks in the Monastery of St John.
- 1132: The monastery becomes stavropegic - that is, it is subject directly to the Ecumenical Patriarch, whose protection it enjoys.
- 1207: Patmos is captured by the Crusaders.
- 1340: Short period of rule by the Knights of St John.
- 1461: Pope Pius II attempts to provide protection against all those who have designs on the monastery.
- 1522: After the defeat by the Ottomans of the Knights of St John, most of the population of the island emigrates.
- 1523: Ottomans occupation - The monastery manages to retain its autonomy and a degree of freedom.
- 1540: New inhabitants move to the island.
- Late sixteenth century:
Beginning of a period of prosperity - development of trade and shipping - many important buildings constructed.
- 1659: Patmos is raided by the Venetians, who loot the main town.
- 1713: Makarios Kalogeras founds the Patmian School.
- 1794: Construction of the paved road from Skala to Chora.
- 1821: Liberation from Ottomans occupation.
- 1912: Occupation by the Italians.
- 1943: German occupation.
- 1945: Liberation by the Allies.
- 7 March 1948: Unification of the Dodecanese with Greece.


The Island Patmos:
The island of Patmos, with a population of 2.715 people, lies between Leros and Ikaria. It has an area of 34,4 km² and a coastline of 63 km, and is 170 nautical miles from Piraeus, 108 from Rhodes and 54 from Samos.

Patmos is an attractive, picturesque and peaceful island, with scattered vegetation and an indented coastline. The sanctity of this island is indicated immediately by the large cross which can bee seen on the hill to the right as one comes into the harbour. The world-wide fame of the Monastery of St. John and of the Monastery of the Apocalypse, the strength of its religious tradition and the wealth of the cultural treasures which are kept on the island attract pilgrims from all over the world and create the mystical atmosphere which the island has.

The island's port, built in accordance with the local architectural tradition around the small natural bay, has whitewashed houses, a large number of churches, narrow alleyways, a spacious waterfront, with caïques and other vessels tied up in a row, neat cafes, restaurants, shops, travel agencies and hotels, ready to welcome the visitor. It is here that the police, the port authority, the customs house, the post office and the banks are to be found. The rock beach to the west of Skala is called Hochlakas and the sunset seen from there can be very beautiful.

Monastery of the Apocalypse:
Almost exactly half-way between Skala and Chora is the complex of buildings of the monastery of the Apocalypse, which surmounts the cave in which St. John the Evangelist heard the voice of God, was inspired and didicated to his disciple Prochorus the sacred text of the Book of Revelation (Apocalypse).

The entrance to the monastery is only a few metres from the surfaced road, while the old Byzantine paved path-way which links Plaka with Chora climbs alongside the wall of the monastery and comes close to the entrance. The sacred cave is at almost the lowest point of the Chapel of Ts Anne, which stands in front of and the side of the cave. In the roof of the cave there is a triple (triadic) notching, held to symbolise the Holy Trinity, from which, according to traditions, the divine voice was heard. At the side can be seen the place where St. John rested his head and the opening into which he put his had to raise himself up. Just next to this point is a kind of natural reading-desk, used by the disciple in taking down the dictation of the Saint.

The Patmian School:
The school building is in the front of the Monastery of the Apocalypse. It was founded in 1713 by the deacon-monk Makarios Kalogeras and played an important role in national life during the Ottomans occupation. It numbers among its former pupils many distinguished figures in modern Greek History.

2 km from Skala is the capital of the island. Chora, which rings the imposing building of the Monastery of St John. The houses of Chora tend to be fine two and three-stoyed mansions with inner courtyards full of flowers and arches, with whitewashed walls and heavy wooden doors, preserved virtually intact. Among the houses narrow streets wind under archways - each with its own name - and bring one to picturesque squqres and the many churches of Chora. The town hall is in Xanthou Square.

Nunnery of the Fount of Life:
To the south-west of the Monastery of St John. It was founded in 1607 by the Patmian priest-monk Parthenios Pankostas. A sanctuary which is an example of pure island style with a courtyard full of flowers.

Monastery of St John:
This stands in th centre of Chora and dominates the island, from every point of which it is visible. It was built by the Blessed Christodoulos in 1088 on the ruins of the ancient Temple of Artemis. The monastery resembles a fortress, with high walls and battlements to prtect it from pirates. The katholikon - the main church of the monastery - dedicated to St John, is in the Byzantine style, adorned with superb wall-paintings and a carved wooden sanctuary screen. An icon of St John given by the Emperor Alexius I and a mosaic icon of St Nicholas are the church oldest. It has two chapels: one is dedicated to the Blessed Christodoulos and contains his relics in a marble sarcophague, while the other is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin.

The treasury of the monastery has a wealth of various objects which have survived down the centuries. Amongthese are some famousgold-woven episcopal vestments, decorated with precious stones, pastoral staffs, sacred vessels, jewelled crosses, and mitres of emperors and patriarchs. The library, founded by the Blessed Christodoulos himself, contains some 900 manuscripts, more than 2.000 old books, and 13.000 documents.

Nunnery of the Annunciation:
This stands on a beautiful garden site, in a deep ravine. This nunnery was founded by the priest-monk Amphilochios Makris and its sisters are engaged in social work, butr also in gardening, growing flowers, weaving, embroidery and icon-painting. Amongst them is the renowned icon-painter, in the Byzantine style, Sister Olympiada, who was a pupil of Photis Kontoglou.

Prophitis Ilias:
The hihest peak on the island, crowned by a chapel to the Prophitis Ilias. The view from the summit is superb.

A seaside village 4 km to the south-east of Skala. There are hotel units of all sizes, little tavernas, a short jetty and a sandy beach. In the centre of the bay is the island of Tragonisi, which prtects the anchorage from the wind. Not far to the south is the conical rock called Kalliaktsou after the birds by the name which make their nests there.

The narrowest part of the island, only 200 metres across. On one side is Petra bay, and on the other is Stavros bay, with a fine beach.

At the north end of Stavros bay.

Psili Ammos:
The best beach on the island. Acces to the beach is easy: by caïque from the harbour of Skala.

2 km to the north-east of Skala, with a quiet beach and the island's campsite.

A branch of the main road leads to Agriolivado, where there is a quiet sandy beach. It can be reached on foot from Skala in 35-40 minutes.

A village in the centre of the island. The main village, called Epano (upper) Kambos has a fine church of the Annuntiation which holds its feast day, with celebrations, on 25 March. Kato (lower) Kambos is the name given to the beach below the village, where there are facilities for sea sports. There are also small tavernas and shops to meet the needs of visitors.

Our Lady "tou Geranou":
A little church on the hill above Geranou bay, wich holds its feast day on 15 August.

A pebble beach, 10 minutes frm Kambos.

Apollou Hermitage:
A path to the left of Gerano leads to this hermitage. There is a service in the church on All Saints' Day.

A beach with striking multicoloured stones. There are tavernas and a few rooms to rent.
To the left of the road to Lambi stands the Church of Christ. Behind a rocky hill is a Church of the Transfiguration, where a service takes place on 5 August each year.

Livadi Kaloyiron:
Meaning "The field of the monks", this was once the site of a hermitage. There is a church of Our Lady whose feast day is 23 August. The beach is stony, but the area one of magical beauty.

St Nicholas "Evdilos" or "Afdelas":
One of the oldest churches on the island, dating from the 11th or 12th century. The bay is safe for yachts, and there is a small jetty. A few farmhouses stand in the vicinity.

Text from Davaris Publications. - Greek Islands: DODECANESE.

Patmos. Patmos. Patmos. Patmos.
Patmos. Patmos. Patmos. Patmos.
Patmos. Patmos. Patmos. Patmos.
Patmos. Patmos. Patmos. Patmos.
Patmos. Patmos. Patmos. Patmos.
Click on the image to enlarge.

Back to the Top of the page!

Take me back to the previous page!


This page looks best when viewed in the latest version of the
Internet explorer browser!
© Nostalgia Travel ™ / Other Islands / Patmos.